Wake by Lisa Mcmann

Wake by Lisa McMann

Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 224 pages
Publisher: Simon Pulse

Not all dreams are sweet.

For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant...

Review

First of all, as an introduction I’ll say that I loved this book!

“Wake” wasn’t at all what I imagined, it was better.
Every chapter is divided by days and hours and that made me feel like I was reading a secret diary, what I really liked.
Also, the parts in which Janie is in a dream are written with a different font so we don’t get lost while reading.

At first there are some flashbacks with memories of when Jamie first discovered her power and how year after year she grows with it so we can actually see how all started and understand why she is how she is.

The writing is precise, giving us all we need to imagine how it is like going trough all that is happening to Janie, and it felt really realistic, as if this could actually be happening to any of us. That’s one of the things I enjoyed the most.

The characters in this book were a funny thing for me. Let me explain myself:
At first, when the characters appear in the book, they give us an impression of what kind of person they are from the way they act or what they say but as the story goes on and Janie appears in their dreams we can see not only how they are in front of the others, if not how they are in reality and what their secrets, fears or wishes are.

Overall: The only thing I regret is not reading this book earlier.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails