Generation Dead by Daniel Waters

Generation Dead by Daniel Waters

Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 400 pages
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH; Library Binding edition


Phoebe Kendall is just your typical Goth girl with a crush. He's strong and silent...and dead.All over the country, a strange phenomenon is occurring. Some teenagers who die aren't staying dead. But when they come back to life, they are no longer the same. Feared and misunderstood, they are doing their best to blend into a society that doesn't want them.The administration at Oakvale High attempts to be more welcoming of the "differently biotic." But the students don't want to take classes or eat in the cafeteria next to someone who isn't breathing. And there are no laws that exist to protect the "living impaired" from the people who want them to disappear--for good.When Phoebe falls for Tommy Williams, the leader of the dead kids, no one can believe it; not her best friend, Margi, and especially not her neighbor, Adam, the star of the football team. Adam has feelings for Phoebe that run much deeper than just friendship; he would do anything for her. But what if protecting Tommy is the one thing that would make her happy?

Review

This is the first book I've ever read about zombies.

At first it took me some time to get into the story but once I did, the pages seemed to run trough my fingers.
It wasn't a book I couldn't put down but when I did it I spent all time wondering what was going to happen next.
It was written in a nice way, in third person mainly focusing on Phoebe, Adam and Pete so you could know what happened in everybody's mind.
Maybe what drove me a little crazy were the sudden changes of perspective; at one moment Adam and Phoebe were talking and in the middle of their talk you start reading about what Pete is planning.

I didn't get to know Phoebe as much as I wanted to and there were times I didn't understand her at all but overall she was a good character. What I like about her the most is the fact that she is indifferent about what others think of her, she's a strong character and sometimes a little bit headstrong.

I really liked Tommy's character. He is brave, a ¿?zombie¿? who tries to protect the different biotic kids.
The only thing I don't stand is not knowing if he really has feelings for Phoebe or if it is only a new way of showing the zombies that it is possible.

Adam played a good roll too. He is the typical friend. He realizes he is in love with his goth friend Phoebe, but once he sees that she is interested in Tommy he decides to let go.

Overall: This book was great, if you haven't read any book about zombies this could be a good start.
I expected this book to be a romance novel but it was focused mostly in the discrimination people show against the different biotical kids.
It seems like the second one is more about romance than this one.

If you want to know more about zombies go to Tommy's page: http://www.mysocalledundeath.com/

3 comments:

Amy said...

Can you flippen wait 4 KISS OF LIFE?!?(the sequel):)
So excited.
nice review! I thought generation dead needed a tiny bit more romance though...
-amy

Lilixtreme said...

Lol just wanted to comment that all of my family speaks spanish! Random I know, but hey I also read mostly romance and paranormal no doubt YA!
So many things in common!

Katie said...

I loved Generation Dead and Kiss of Life! I kind of liked how Generation Dead focused more on the zombies than on the romance. I think it helped set the whole situation up a little better.

Related Posts with Thumbnails