City of Bones (Mortal Instruments I ) by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments I ) by Cassandra Clare

Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 496 pages
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry

When sixteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder — much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing — not even a smear of blood — to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...


Review

I bought this book when it came out here in Spain, a month ago more or less. I had heard about it but I hadn't planned to read it, but that day I was walking through the bookshop when I saw it, and since I didn't had anything to read I decided to give it a try and honestly IT DOESN'T DISAPPOINT. Actually it has ended being my second favourite book (right after Twilight series).
Only to think the wonderful book I could have not read if that day I hadn't bought it... Anyway, I think I'd have ended up buying it because there are reviews of this series everywhere.

I really liked the idea of an urban paranormal book.
I found this book was written in a very nice way, without abusing of the descriptions but letting you know the necessary to represent the imaginary scene in your head and driving you right into the story.
The thing I enjoyed the most was the fact that I could feel the same Clary was feeling; whenever she was scared my face was showing fear, whenever she was happy I couldn't help but to draw a smile in my face, and whenever she was sad or nervous I couldn't stop feeling the same way. And Yes, I cried a little at the end of the book because I don't want (and I know I'm not the only one who thinks this way*) that love story to end like this.
Another thing I loved about this book is the fact that while reading you don't have any more information than Clary I mean, in this book you don't know how the others feel, you don't have any other details of what's happening apart of what Clary sees, feels and knows, and so in this kind of book helps to keep the intrigue and the interest. As the final was getting closer I was shaking while guessing what was going to happen and I was very sad as Clary and I discovered the truth.

If I have to talk about the characters I definitely have to mention Jace. I liked Clary's character but I liked Jace's character the most with difference. I fell deeply in love with him. His not the typical character that is mysterious but kind to the girl. He's arrogant and very determined. He likes doing the thinks his way and he doesn't mind very much what others think about him.
I feel sorry for Simon but sometimes he was a bit annoying.

Overall: I loved this book and I will patiently wait for the next books as for the next works of the author.


Curiosity

This is the Spanish cover.

I don't know why did they put this cover and not the first one but then I suppose they'll put the first cover for the second book.
It says "Cazadores de Sombras" in big, which means Shadowhunters
and under it says "1. CIUDAD DE HUEST" = City of bones





3 comments:

Amy said...

Glad you liked it! I have yet to meet somebody who doesn't.
I actually favor the us cover over the spanish one.
-amy

~THE OPTIMISTIC PESSIMIST ~ said...

I love the entire series!! I hope you will keep reading the series. I have just finished City of Glass. It was wonderful, a great finish to a wonderful series.
Your blog is very nice, keep up the good work.

Tiqa Khairi said...

Ohmigod. I've been wanting to read this series for ever. It came out in Malaysia a few weeks ago. I saw it once in a bookstore and was dying to buy it, but sadly enough. I didnt' have enough money :(


Great review, now u make me want to read it more!

Related Posts with Thumbnails